AFCEC unveils winners of 2018 Air Force Design Awards
By AFIMSC Public Affairs
/ Published October 24, 2018
JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas - The Air Force Civil Engineer Center has announced the winners of the 2018 Air Force Design Awards, recognizing eight innovative projects for excellence in design and efficiency.
“These award-winning projects exemplify the Air Force’s commitment to partnering with industry to deliver quality, mission ready facilities,” said Col. Scott Matthews, AFCEC Facility Engineering director. “These designers optimized and balanced functionality, cost-efficiency, sustainability and aesthetics.”
Two award levels were given this year: the Honor Award, which is the highest achievement, followed by the Merit Award.
This year’s recipients are:
2018 Honor Awards
- Facility Design: KC-46A Three-Bay General Maintenance Hangar, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas
- Facility Renovations and Additions: Foreign Materiel Exploitation Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- Facility Design: Medical/Dental Clinic, Cannon AFB, New Mexico
2018 Merit Awards
- Facility Design: B-52 Squadron Operations/Aircraft Maintenance Unit Facility, Minot AFB, North Dakota
- Facility Design: Craig R. McKinley Hall, Tennessee Air National Guard, McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tennessee
- Facility Renovations and Additions: F-22 Jet Engine Shop Renovation, Hawaii Air National Guard, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- Facility Renovations and Additions: Historic Building 49 Renovation, Offutt AFB, Nebraska
- Facility Design: Variable Height Tower, Eglin AFB, Florida
A 3-person juror team analyzed the design entries, compared them against the predetermined judging criteria, and selected for awards those projects that excelled in all aspects of the criteria, said David Duncan, AFCEC Senior Architect and Air Force Design Awards program manager.
“When assessing a project, we ask jurors to emphasize cost control, energy efficiency, functionality and sustainability,” Duncan said. “These outstanding designs set the bar high and help inspire future innovation, leading to continual design improvement and success.”Awards will be formally presented to the winners Nov 14, 2018, during the AFCEC Design and Construction Partnering Symposium in San Antonio.