CMSgt. Maurice L. Williams
Chief Master Sergeant Maurice L. Williams is the thirteenth Command Chief Master Sergeant of the Air National Guard. He represents the highest level of enlisted leadership and is the principal advisor to the Director of the Air National Guard. In this role, he is directly responsible for all matters influencing the health, morale, welfare, job satisfaction, discipline, utilization, family support, quality of life, and professional development of more than 107,700 Air Guard members. In addition, he offers the enlisted perspective on key defense initiatives such as the State Partnership Program, which supports 78 unique security partnerships involving 84 nations across the globe. In addition, he is a principal member of the Air Force Senior Enlisted Leader Council, a body of senior leaders responsible for shaping enlisted policies and programs for Airmen assigned across all major Air Force commands as well as the Department of Defense’s geographic and functional combatant commands.
Chief Williams enlisted in the North Carolina Air National Guard in 1987 and was assigned to the 145th Logistics Readiness Squadron. He graduated from Basic Military Training in December and attended the Air Transportation Specialist Course at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, graduating in January 1988. He later served as the Superintendent of the Small Air Terminal, 145th Logistics Readiness Squadron, where he provided expert leadership and management of all air transportation activities within the Small Air Terminal. Chief Williams has deployed worldwide in various leadership roles on numerous occasions in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM and has served on the United States European and Air Force Central Command staffs. He served as the 145th Airlift Wing Command Chief Master Sergeant and the State Command Chief Master Sergeant of the North Carolina Air National Guard, and was co-director of the ANG Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course and the chairman of the ANG Enlisted Field Advisory Council serving 91,000 enlisted Airmen.
Prior to his current position, Chief Williams was the Command Senior Enlisted Leader of the Kansas National Guard.
1990 Noncommissioned Officer Prep Course, Fort Fisher, Kure Beach, N.C.
1998 Airlift of Hazardous Materials Course, Charlotte, Air National Guard Base, N.C.
2002 Noncommissioned Officer Leadership Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2005 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Community College of the Air Force, Associate in Transportation, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Enlisted Professional Military Education Site Facilitator Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2009 USAF Honor Guard Basic Protocol, Honors and Ceremonies Course, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
2009 Air National Guard Chief Executive Course, Crystal City, Va.
2010 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
2011 Command Chief Orientation Course, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
2011 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course, Joint Force Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2011 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century, University of Tenn.
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2013 Defense Support of Civil Authorities, USNORTHCOM, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2013 Associate in Criminal Justice, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, Ala.
2013 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, Ala.
2013 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air Force Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
2015 Keystone Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2015 Master of Business Administration, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, Ala.
2016 Senior Leader Regional Seminar (Africa), Allan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2016 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler School of Business, University of N.C.
2017 Senior Leader Regional Seminar (Middle East), Allan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2017 Senior Leader Regional Seminar (National Security), Allan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C
2019 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. January 1987─April 1997, Air Transportation Journeyman, 145th Aerial Port Squadron, 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte, N.C.
2. April 1997─March 2007, Air Transportation Craftsman, 145th Aerial Port Squadron, 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte, N.C. (March 2003─July 2003, Passenger Service Supervisor, Rhine Mein Air Base, Germany; August 2003─September 2003, Cargo Customer Service, Charleston AFB, S.C.; October 2003─February 2004, Passenger Service Supervisor, Kuwait City International Airport, Kuwait; May 2006─September 2006, Passenger Service Superintendent, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
3. March 2007─October 2010, Air Transportation Superintendent, 145th Aerial Port Squadron, 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte, N.C. (October 2007─February 2008, Air Transportation Load Planner, Patch Barracks, Germany; October 2008─March 2009, Air Transportation Superintendent, Al Taqaddum AB, Iraq; March 2010─July 2010, Senior Transportation Liaison, Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
4. November 2010─October 2015, Command Chief, 145th Airlift Wing, Charlotte ANGB, N.C.
5. October 2015─October 2017, North Carolina State Command Chief, Joint Force Headquarters, Raleigh, N.C.
6. October 2017─September 2020, Kansas National Guard, Command Senior Enlisted Leader, JFHQ, Topeka, Kan.
7. October 2020─Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Air National Guard, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
2004 5th Expeditionary Air Mobility Squadron Exceptional Performance Award, Kuwait City International Airport, Kuwait
2006 United States Special Operation Command Award, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
2009 Longshoremen REDPATCH AWARD, Al Taqaddum AB, Iraq
2013 Cum Laude, B.S., Columbia Southern University, Ala.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman First Class July 7, 1987
Senior Airman March 4, 1991
Staff Sergeant May 3, 1993
Technical Sergeant Dec. 30, 2002
Master Sergeant Feb. 28, 2005
Senior Master Sergeant March 30, 2007
Chief Master Sergeant Sept. 1, 2009
(Current as of October 2020)