Lt. Gen. Michael A. Loh
Lt. Gen. Michael A. Loh is the Director, Air National Guard, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible for formulating, developing and coordinating all policies, plans and programs affecting more than 108,300 Air National Guard Airmen and civilians in more than 90 wings and 175 geographically separated units across 213 locations throughout the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands.
Lt. Gen. Loh is a 1984 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He served seven years on active duty as an F-16 instructor and strike pilot for U.S. Air Forces Europe and at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. He joined the Colorado Air National Guard in 1991 and has held command, staff and supervisory positions including group and squadron commander; Air Force Assistant to the Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command; Assistant to the Chief of Staff; and Assistant Adjutant General of Colorado for Air/Space. He has deployed multiple times to both the Pacific and Central Command regions and commanded combat operations during operations Iraqi Freedom and Provide Comfort II. Prior to his current position, he was The Adjutant General, Colorado National Guard.
1984 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. 1988 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2004 National Security Management, by correspondence
2010 George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, Garmisch, Germany
2010 Harvard John F. Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2011 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2011 Senior Reserve Component Officer Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2011 Master of Business Administration, Trident University International, Cypress, Calif.
2012 Capstone, General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2012 National Security Studies Management Course, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2018 Advanced Senior Leader Development Seminar, Warrenton, Va.
2018 Continuous Process Improvement for Executives, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2019 General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- May 1984–October 1985, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
- October 1985–January 1986, Student, Fighter Lead-in Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
- January 1986–July 1986, Student, Air Force Operational Training Course, F-16, MacDill AFB, Fla.
- July 1986–June 1989, Pilot, 313th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn Air Base, Germany
- June 1989–September 1991, Instructor Pilot, 310th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
- September 1991–June 1996, Pilot, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- June 1996–June 1997, Instructor Pilot, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- June 1997–September 2003, Flight Commander, 120th Fighter Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- October 2003–September 2004, Commander, 140th Operations Support Flight, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- October 2004–September 2006, Commander, 140th Operations Support Squadron, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- October 2006–May 2010, Commander, 140th Operations Group, Buckley AFB, Colo.
- May 2010–September 2011, Special Assistant to the Chief of Staff, United States Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
- October 2011–July 2013, Assistant Adjutant General - Air, Colorado National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters-Colorado, Centennial, Colo.; dual-hatted, November 2011–14.
- May 2013, National Guard Assistant to the Commander, 14th Air Force, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
- August 2013–March 2016, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- April 2016–April 2017, National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
- April 2017–July 2020, The Adjutant General, Colorado, Centennial, Colo.
- July 2020–present, Director, Air National Guard, Washington, D.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
- August 2013–March 2016, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,200 (including more than 120 combat)
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38 and F-16A/B/C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Force Combat Action Medal
OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS 1985 Outstanding Graduate ATC Commander's Trophy, Undergraduate Pilot Training 1986 Outstanding Graduate, F-16 Operational Training Course
1986 Order of Daedalians Orville Wright Achievement Award
2004 Order of Daedalians Mile High Flight Distinguished Pilot Award
Civilian Air Transport Pilot rated in Boeing 727, 737, 747-400, and 777
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1984
First Lieutenant May 28, 1986
Captain May 28, 1988
Major Oct. 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 3, 2001
Colonel Oct. 14, 2006
Brigadier General May 21, 2010
Major General Aug. 1, 2013
Lieutenant General July 22, 2020
(Current as of July 2020)