Air National Guard   Right Corner Banner

Air National Guard - Home

Join the Air National Guard

tabHot Topics 
tabTop Stories RSS feed 
ANG Director discusses reserve component qualities during Defense Communities National Summit

HIANG air crews return from Southwest Asia deployment

Congressional staff and NGB members host State Partnership Program gathering

First responders participate in mass casualty exercise

Low Pressure, Heavy Lifting - CDDAR  1

Maintenance University provides intensive training for Air Guardsmen from 5 states

Civil engineers from the Kentucky Air National Guard renovate school in Moldova

102nd Intelligence Wing welcomes new commander

Romanian Visit Enhances Partnership with ANG Maintainers

Simulated JROTC basic training builds confidence, teaches teamwork

tabNational Guard Stories RSS feed 
New York Airmen dive into competition for German military proficiency badge

New Mexico Airmen and Soldiers assisting at Dog Head Fire

Arizona Air National Guard member fulfills life's dream of becoming an attorney

South Carolina National Guard hosts Colombian military law experts during exchange

Guardsman sprints to multiple medals at Invictus Games

tabThis Month in History 
June 1912. Beckwith Havens, a pilot employed by pioneer aircraft builder Glenn H. Curtiss, enlisted in the New York National Guard's 1st Company, Signal Corps as a private.

29 June 1916. Hiram Bingham, a history professor at Yale University who had rediscovered the largely forgotten Incan city of Machu Picchu in July 1911, joined the Connecticut National Guard as a private. A strong aviation advocate, Lt. Col. Bingham became a pilot and commanded the Army's aviation school at Issoudun, France during World War I after he transferred to the Officer Reserve Corps of the Signal Corps. While a U.S. Senator from Connecticut, he was appointed to the President's Aircraft Board by President Calvin Coolidge in 1925.

30 June 1916. The Second Aero Company, New York National Guard, was mustered in Buffalo under the command of Capt. John Sutterfield.

29 June 1921. The 104th Squadron (redesignated the 104th Observation Squadron on 25 January 1923), Maryland National Guard, received federal recognition. It emerged from a flying club active in Baltimore during 1919 and 1920. Initially, its 34 members had no uniforms or aircraft. They trained every Saturday afternoon at Logan Field in Dundalk, Maryland. Their training initially consisted of military drill and instruction about aviation topics.

30 June 1922. The Militia Bureau reported that 53 Army airplanes had been issued to 6 National Guard aviation units by this date.

Read More...
tabANG Top Stories Slideshow 
tabDANG Facebook Comment Feed 
 
tabAir National Guard Spotlights 
tabMinuteman Report 

 Inside the ANG

ima cornerSearch

tabFollow the Air National Guard on:
tabAir National Guard Workmark
tabANG Strategic Master Plan
tabFeatured Links
tabRelated Media

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act