12 August 1909. The Missouri National Guard directed that a 15-man aero detachment be organized in Company A, Signal Corps on St. Louis under the command of 1st Lt. Chester E. Burg. No further developments in use of balloons or aircraft were reported in the Missouri National Guard until 1923.
7 August 1911. Flying his own biplane, 1st Lt. Andrew Drew, commander of the Missouri National Guard's Aeronautic Section, became the first individual to earn a private pilot's license while serving in the Guard.